Aldbourne

Aldbourne is a beautiful village about 6 miles (10 km) north-east of Marlborough in Wiltshire, England. It is in a valley in the south slope of the Lambourn Downs, part of the North Wessex Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. From here an unnamed winterbourne flows and joins the River Kennet 4 miles (6.4 km) south near the village of Ramsbury.

The village is dominated by church of Saint Michael overlooking the village green. It is medieval and a Grade I400px-Aldbourne_Village_Green_and_St_Michael's_Church listed building. The nave and aisles were built around 1200, although some earlier Norman arches and other traces remain. There are four arches on the north arcade and three on the south. The chancel is Early English, with north and south chapels, and a sanctuary with lancet windows.

The Perpendicular Gothic three-stage tower was added in 1460. It is ashlar, has angled buttresses and transomed three-light bell openings, with gargoyles above. There are also transepts with three-light windows, a tall south porch – originally two-storey – and a bay between the porch and south transept. The external walls are of flint and limestone with some chequer work and sarsen stones, and are crenellated. The roofs are lead and slate. The interior contains a number of dramatic monuments and monumental brasses and is well worth a visit.

The village is also famous for the world famous Aldbourne Brass Band.

Contact Us

External Links